Wednesday, August 12, 2015

NH LOCAL: Suppa's Pizza & Subs - The Fat Cow


I heard a rumor about a place opening up in downtown Dover, NH that had crazy, over the top style pizza food. I had no idea it was a second location to the world renowned Suppa's, famously featured by our brother in arms, The Phantom Gourmet. Needless to say, I loaded into my car, and hit this place faster than than a chick getting knocked out in a "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey fight.




JEEEEESSSUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS

Taking a look at the menu, I was absolutely blown away. The food descriptions are kind of what a fat man being ushered into a pit fall trap would blindly follow. Subs, pizzas, sandwiches, all begging you to partake in their individual cheesey bliss. To be honest, I had a pretty hard time trying to figure out what to get, and looking over at a Steak Stick that the man ahead of me purchased, I knew I couldn't handle that, not that day. So I turned my gaze to something on the tamer side, something that I could have a good baseline in which to judge, and gauge my orders from then on. I chose the, Fat Cow.

A Bacon Cheeseburger sub with Moz sticks at the base, french fries on top, covered with Mozzarella cheese and BBQ Sauce

That sandwich up there, is a small. If you grab a large, swallow a handful of aspirin because your heart is going to need it.




As if I really need to tell you, this sandwich is delicious. I feel like I'm going to give this a slightly unfair critique, only because this sandwich promises so much, and kinda strikes out in the end. There's a very large reason why! I feel like the Fat Cow is this mythical beast that  JC himself descended from heaven, wrestled to the ground, unchained from Lucifer's throne, then shared it with the rest of the world for them to be happy until the end of days. But just like JC and a good Fantastic Four movie, it's a myth. 

It tastes great, but, where The Fat Cow failed us all, was being insanely dry. The BBQ was too scarce to make up for the dryness of the bread, burger, breaded mozzarella sticks. Normally I'd predict that grease would help make this sandwich a sopping, heart clogging, mouth pleasing mess, but that was also not the case. The fries added another layer of dryness as well, and when you bite into the sandwich, it tastes good, but you can't really place the levels of what it is your exactly eating. If you told me there was no mozzarella sticks, I'd believe you, because it was all pretty much the same texture, and didn't have a vehicle in which to deliver the different decadence to your tongue.

MAYO TO THE RESCUE
After being halfway through, I asked for a small side of mayonnaise, and I feel that is EXACTLY what this sandwich needed. It added the much needed smoothness to override all of the sandpaper that this sandwich had become, and quit honestly, did a hell of a job in changing my opinion on this single menu item.


I wasn't sure if I wanted to finish after my first half, but I after the mayo addition, the Fat Cow jumped far over the moon in my book. If you head out there soon, and don't gourge yourself on any number of other insane menu items, make sure to order your Fat Cow with mayo. You'll have to have the Man of Steel himself tighten your belt, and carry you out of there.







I give the Fat Cow from Suppa's in Dover, NH
-C (off menu)
-A (with mayo)
A great place with a lot of choices, a different kind of pizza place that
will hopefully kick some other pizza places in the ass to get creative. I'm 
pumped to have them in the area!
-Josh


As always, feel free to drop us a line if you'd like us to review something you saw out there in the wild. Or if you're a company who wants us to take a look at your product. Or...if you just want to email us pictures of kittens and puppies. Or some wild burger you created after polishing off a few beers and getting weird. We love emails! Send them to: fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com . But the fun doesn't stop there. Hit us up on Twitter and Like our Facebook page for tons of fun stuff and the occasional giveaway!






2 comments:

  1. Suppas is great. They have high quality hand tossed pizza. They deliver pizza and subs in Dover NH.

    ReplyDelete